5 Things, Aug. 23: Sunset Shabbat, Back-to-School Information
Also today: Find out who is being honored by The Visiting Nurse Association of Boston, and get some recent news on aerial mosquito spraying.
Today's Weather: Skies will be mostly sunny in Canton today with a high near 84 degrees, according to the National Weather Service.
1. Temple Beth Abraham will hold a Sunset Shabbat from 6 to 9 p.m. Aug. 24 at Pequitside Farm in Canton. At 6 p.m., there will be a BBQ and summer games until 7:15 p.m., when the group will usher in Shabbat. The rabbi will lead the group in song and prayer. There will be dancing and singing, and kids will play musical instruments.
2. All-Things Back to School: Ninth grade orientation will take place Monday, Aug. 27, at Canton High School gymnasium at 8 a.m., followed by a new student and transfer student orientation grades 10-12 at 10 a.m. The Canton School Committee will be meeting Thursday, Aug. 30 in the Canton High Distance Learning Lab. The first day for teachers, not students, will be Tuesday, Sept. 4. The first day of school for Canton students in grades 1-12 will be Wednesday, Sept. 5, and the first day of kindergarten will Thursday, Sept. 6.
2. Canton's Ronald L. Walker II is being honored by The Visiting Nurse Association of Boston.
3. State officials announced Wednesday that the most recent round of aerial spraying cut Easton's mosquito population in half. In a related note, Sharon was told that a bird-bitting mosquito with EEE was found in town on Aug. 15. The town was notified on Aug. 21 and is at moderate risk level.
4. Ann Taber, owner the Ever So Humble Pie Company in East Walpole, said she has received over 2,000 emails since her situation was brought to light on the cover of last Wednesday's Boston Herald, mostly good, others "wishing [her] ill."
5. The New England Patriots are the region’s favorite team, according to a Boston Herald article this week. We're wondering if folks in Sharon agree. Let us know here.