Hockomock League Football Recap: Four Second Half Comebacks; Two Remain Undefeated
A recap of Week 6 football action in the Hockomock League.
Hockomock League play continued in week 6 (with the exception of Franklin). Division play resumes in week 7.
Recaps, standings, star players and a week 7 schedule are below.
Week 6 Recap
- After North Attleboro quarterback Ryan Perron scored on a keeper from 4-yards out and NA converted the extra point with 6:53 left in the fourth quarter, Stoughton found itself trailing (7-6) for the first time since the first quarter of the first game of the season. But Stoughton responded with a quick four-play scoring strike to retake the lead, 12-7. The Black Knights' defense forced two turnovers in the final minutes to cement the comeback win Friday at NA, Stoughton's first over North Attleboro since 2006. Stoughton stays perfect at 6-0, while North Attleboro falls to 3-3. Frankie Morris scored both touchdowns (running) for Stoughton. Click here for a full recap.
- Foxborough rallied from a 14-10 deficit late in the fourth quarter against visiting Attleboro Friday to beat the Blue Bombardiers (4-2) by three. The Warriors (4-2) began their game-winning drive at their own 41 with 4:19 remaining in the fourth quarter. Sophomore quarterback Nolan Rogers, playing for the injured Mike Slaby, completed a short pass to running back Kiivone Howard, who then raced down the Foxborough sideline for a 41-yard touchdown to give the Warriors the 17-14 lead and eventual win. Luke Morrison (pass from Tim Walsh) and David Duquette (run) scored the touchdowns for Attleboro. Click here for a full recap.
- Trailing 21-6 entering the fourth quarter of Saturday's Hockomock League battle with visiting Taunton, Oliver Ames had its back against a wall, but behind quarterback Nick Cidado, the OA Tigers (5-1) orchestrated a late-game comeback, handing the Taunton Tigers (1-5) their third straight loss. Joey Tepper scored on a 1-yard run and Cidado hit Greg Cummings for the 2-point conversion to make it 21-14. Then Cidado hit Cummings for a 36-yard touchdown. Instead of kicking an extra point to tie the game, OA went for two, converting on a Matt Berksza run, to go up 22-21 with 2:35 left. Click here for a full recap.
- King Philip's John Dillon got things started early for the Warriors Friday night with a 17-yard touchdown pass to Joe Cochrane in the first quarter. Later in the opening quarter, Ryan Dunn capped off the KP drive with a 4-yard rushing touchdown to increase the lead to 14-0. Joe Johnston led the Warriors in rushing with 103 yards on the ground and his two third quarter touchdowns helped lock up a 43-0 home win for the Warriors. In a battle of undefeated teams, KP remains a perfect 6-0, while Sharon (5-1) loses for the first time since last Thanksgiving. Click here for a full recap.
- Mansfield trailed at visiting Canton 14-13 going into the half, but the Hornets stung the Bulldogs in the second half with three unanswered touchdowns to improve to 4-2. Canton, meanwhile, falls to 1-4. Rob Rapoza (run), Kevin Makie (run) and Brendan Hill (pass from Kyle Wisnieski) scored the second half touchdowns for Mansfield. Ian Flavin (run) and Shane Nordgren (run) scored for Canton. Click here for a full recap.
Franklin 27, Westhill (CT) 13
- In the only non-league action of the week, Franklin traveled to Westhill, CT. Franklin jumped out to a 27-0 lead, withstanding two fourth quarter Westhill touchdowns, to improve to 5-1 on the season. Nick Zucco led the way for Franklin with a touchdown run and touchdown pass. Click here for a scoring recap.
Week 6 Stars
- Foxborough running back Luc Valenza gained 198 yards rushing on a night where the Attleboro defense did a solid job of containing Kiivone Howard.
- Oliver Ames quarterback Nick Cidado made up for two interceptions he threw in the first half by throwing two 30-plus yard passes in the fourth quarter - one for 31 yards to the 1 yard line and another for a 36-yard touchdown as time wound down to help lead OA back from a 21-6 deficit.
- Running back Malachi Baugh sparked a quick Stoughton scoring strike to help the Black Knights to victory at North Attleboro. Trailing 7-6 in the fourth quarter, Baugh had a 42-yard kickoff return, followed by a 10-yard and 20-yard run to set up Frankie Morris' 14-yard touchdown run to put Stoughton back on top.
- Mansfield quarterback Kyle Wisnieski threw for three touchdowns at Canton, the first to Dave Collins and the last two to Brendan Hill.
- Attleboro receiver Luke Morrison hauled in over 100 yards receiving, including a 10-yard touchdown pass from QB Tim Walsh.
- King Philip running back Joe Johnston had 103 yards rushing and a touchdown in the blowout win over Sharon.
- Franklin quarterback Nick Zucco had a touchdown rushing and passing in the Panthers' road win.
Standings (based on division record)
|Team (overall rec)||
||Team (overall rec)||
King Philip (6-0)
Oliver Ames (5-1)
||North Attleboro (3-3)||0-1||L3|
Week 7 Schedule
Friday, October 19:
- North Attleboro at Taunton, 4 p.m. (Kelly-Rex)
- King Philip at Mansfield, 7 p.m. (Kelly-Rex)
- Attleboro at Franklin, 7 p.m. (Kelly-Rex)
- Oliver Ames at Foxborough, 7 p.m. (Davenport)
Saturday, October 20:
- Stoughton at Sharon, 1 p.m. (Davenport)
Canton has a bye in week 7.