We at Patch hope that you all had a wonderful holiday. Please remember to share your pictures here on Canton Patch. (We're on Facebook too!)
1. Kwanzaa begins today and runs through January 1, 2013. Kwanzaa brings a cultural message of what it means to be African and human in the fullest sense. It is a time of refelction and a special time of rememberance. Happy Kwanzaa!
2. At 10:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. There's a 'Still Life Painting Class' at the Canton Public Library, sponsored by the Canton Art Association. Location: Library Art & Activities Room. Contact: Ellen McHugo at firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Due to the substantial interest in the A.Elmer Crowell:Master of Decoys and More exhibit, the Mass Audubon, 963 Washington Street has produced an on going exhibit featuring a small select sampling of his work. If you haven't seen it yet, do stop by to see the beauty of form and detailed carving by this master. Also on exhibit are 'Nests, Eggs, Heartbreak and Beauty' which will run through January 13, 2013. And coming up later in January is an exhibit entitled, 'Only Owls' which was organized by the Woodson Art Museum with additional art works from the Mass Audubon Collection. For more information and gallery hours contact (781)821-8853. They will be closed on Dec 24, 25 and 31.
4. Register now for the Canton Department of Recreation 'LEARN TO SKATE PROGRAM'. This program places an emphasis on developing proper fundamentals for skating and to make skating fun. Whether participants go on to figure skate, play hockey, or skate recreationally, each will learn the proper techniques for safety and success on the ice. There are 2 classes: Tuesday at 4:30 p.m. and another class is offered at 5:30 p.m. for children 5 - 14 years of age. Place: Metropolis Skating Rink. Classes begin on Jan 8 and run through March 5, 2013. Contact: (781)821-5030 or register on line.
5. The Annual New Years Day Hike at the Blue Hills Reservation is on Tuesday, January 1, 2013 at 12:00 pm. Free hot & hearty soup at noon; all hikes begin at 1:00 pm. Celebrate the New Year in the Blue Hills. Warm up with a free cup of hearty soup, then stretch your legs on a variety of guided hikes suitable for all ages and abilities. A great way to jump start the year! Meet at the Houghton’s Pond main parking lot. For details call (617)698-1802.