The town of Canton has a new Animal Control Officer. At Tuesday night's , the board officially approved the hiring of Nadya Branca. Branca will fill the vacant spot and will start the full-time position on October 1.
Branca worked for the town's for the past year in a part-time capacity, Town Administrator Bill Friel said.
Police Chief Ken Berkowitz and the acting Animal Control Officer gave her high recommendations, Friel said.
Nadya replaces former , who resigned last month.
Also, last night, Friel gave the BOS an update on repairs on .
The town has been in the process of getting the appropriate repairs to fix the dam before the town accepts ownership of the property. The current owner, Canton Development Property, is responsible for doing all the repairs, Friel said.
"We feel strongly, that despite the town's efforts" the CDP's repair work to date "is not compliant" with state dam safety standards, Friel said.
The town's goal is to have the dam properly repaired, he said.
In other news:
- The Canton Board of Selectmen appointed Adrinne Tierney, a Canton resident, to the position of accounting coordinator. She will start her position on September 29.
- The Paul R. Matthews Charitable Foundation is holding a Third Annual Celebration of Community Spirit on Friday, September 23, from 7:00 p.m. - 12:00 a.m. at Pequitside Farm.
- Newly appointed Human Resources Administrator Jody Middleton is starting her new job on September 28. Her salary is set at $73,000 per year.
- The construction on Route 138 is to be completed by the end of the day today. After being in the works for four years with the state, "I'm glad it's behind us," Friel told the board.
- The Ricky Shannon Field Day is being held on Saturday, September 17 from 12:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. at Canton High's Memorial Field. The event honors CHS Class of 1982 Alum Ricky Shannon.
The next Board of Selectmen meeting is being held Tuesday, September 27 at 7:00 p.m. at Town Hall.