The following information was submitted by the Massachusetts Department of Transportation:
Beginning at 5 a.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 27, construction crews will begin to open the remaining portions of the newly constructed fourth travel lane on the section of interstate roadway between Randolph and Westwood.
The project limits begin in Randolph on I-93 at the interchange with Rte. 24 (Exit 4). From there, the project extends west toward Canton Junction, where I-93 ends, and the roadway becomes I-95 (Rte. 128). Lastly, the project continues along I-95 (Rte. 128) to Rte. 109 (Exit 16) in Westwood.
The opening of the new travel lane is scheduled to occur as follows:
- The section of I-95 (Rte. 128) North between East Street (Exit 14) and a point just south of Rte. 109 (Exit 16) will open at 5 a.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 27.
- The section of I-95 (Rte. 128) North between the point where the on ramp from I-95 North ties in and East Street (Exit 14) will open at 5 a.m. on Wednesday, Nov. 28.
- The section of I-93 South between Rte. 138 (Exit 2) and the point where I-95 (Rte. 128) North begins will open at 5 a.m. on Thursday, Nov. 29.
- The section of I-93 South between Ponkapoag Trail (Exit 3) and Rte. 138 (Exit 2) will open at 5 a.m. on Friday, Nov. 30.
- The section of I-93 South between Rte. 24 (Exit 4) and Ponkapoag Trail (Exit 3) will open at 5 a.m. on Saturday, Dec. 1.
The above schedule is subject to change if inclement weather occurs and delays the completion of required work items.
Please Note: In conjunction with the opening of the new fourth travel lane in each of the above segments, the authorized use of the breakdown lane for travel during weekday peak commuting periods will concurrently be discontinued. Drivers should use extreme caution and pay particular attention to posted warning and regulatory signs when traveling within the above segments.
The work is part of a $53.7 million project to widen a 5.5-mile section of Rte. I-93/Rte. I-95/Rte. 128 between Randolph and Westwood to provide an additional travel lane in each direction.